Hellenistic Mosaic, 2nd century BC.
Below: The pavement combines polychrome (yellow, pink, red, grey and black) cut and polished pebbles and by relatively large polygonal black and white tesserae; the central geometric panel featuring a diamond shape inside a large square on which there is a six petalled flower on a black background. Four darting dolphins occupy the triangular shaped corners.
Below: Ancient Roman sarcophagus dated 2nd century AD, depicting Bacchic Thiasos, found in the Taormina Necropolis
Below: The Metric dedication of an altar to Hestia from Karneades of Barke, his wife Pythias and their daughter Eraso beside the Temple of Serapis (IG XIV 433). Lapidary and epigraphic collection of the Greek Theatre of Taormina. Found in Taormina. Inscriptionː “Beside these walls of Serapis the warden of the temple Karneades of Barke, son of Eukritos, o foreigner, and his spouse Pythias and his daughter Eraso placed to Hestia a pure altar, as a reward for this, o you that governs the marvellous dwellings of Zeus, grant to them a lovely auspiciousness of life.”
Below: Greek inscription on clay tablet
Below: Brought to light only in 1943, the Naumachie is the remains of an old Roman wall, 130 meters long, with 18 niches that surrounded the Gymnasium. Built in the 1st Ct BC, it is, after the Greek theatre, the oldest structure in the town.
The name Naumachie, meaning “the sea battle”, was wrongly given to the structure due to the big water basin found here. However, the basin wasn’t used to stage the big sea battles but was just a reservoir used as a water supply for the Gymnasium and the city